Friday, November 2, 2007

We--part c.

C.) Although I enjoyed We, I could not really get into the story. Zamyatin's use of stream of consciousness in the structure of the novel was somewhat confusing at times and I felt that a lot of what he was trying to say got lost in his style. I also felt that he incorporated too much technology into the society; he introduced too many foreign concepts and machines that were vague and generally unnecessary. I do not think the extent of technology presented was needed to convey the moral of the story: there is no, nor will there ever be, a perfect world.

All else aside, I did like the characters portrayed in the story. I-330 was the epitome
of manipulation and was, in my mind, the strongest character depicted. Although I admired her strength and bravery throughout the novel, her selfishness and lack of concern while doing anything at all in order to get what she wanted bothered me somewhat. She seemingly had no remorse or even remote consideration for who she would hurt and who she needed to step on in order to execute her revolutionary plans. On the other hand, it can be argued that she was not indeed acting in a selfish manner at all because her ultimate goal was to save OneState from the oppressive Benefactor, but I still find it hard to accept the way she played D-503 and made him believe she truly loved him.

D-503 and O both represented the weakness and conformity of society. They both fell to the power of the Benefactor without question, completely in obedience. There was an obvious distinction in characters and the role they played in the novel. I also enjoyed the irony of D-503, after ditching O for I-330, ends up just being used by her.

No comments: